On 5/08/2009 6:00 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
Mark Hammond<skippy.hamm...@gmail.com>  writes:

As already mentioned in this thread, a capability similar to what svn
or cvs offers would be sufficient.

That capability presented by centralised VCSen is entirely dependent on
the fact that they *are* centralised. Using a distributed VCS means the
same capability doesn't apply.

Why do you say that (without justification I might add <wink>) about this issue?

While a DVCS does offer unique challenges, it seems to me that doing
something at commit time without requiring magic hooks be configured
would go a long way to addressing the problem.

The hand-waving “doing something” is exactly what needs to be solved.

I think you have been mis-reading this thread. It is quite clear what 'doing something' means in this context - it means implement the human-defined rules for the line-ending policy for the repository.

Magic hooks on the official repo would then be considered the final
fallback defense, but should rarely be invoked.

Right, so that's “capability similar to centralised VCS” out of
consideration; I'm glad we agree in the end.

I'm afraid you have lost me again, as clearly we don't agree on what useful things can be done at local commit time.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make

That I disagree with your position. You seem to think that the problem
has an obvious solution, which is not true; and that choice of a
distributed VCS should be delayed until the problem is solved, which I
don't agree with.

Fair enough - but it seems clear to enough of us that we can make progress and meet the requirements of the people actually impacted.

but I believe it *is* possible for a solution to be found here which
will keep Windows users happy. I'm guessing you haven't had much
practical experience with this problem, so probably don't see this is
clearly as Windows users do.

Your guess is incorrect; I've been bitten time and again by this problem
in many different contexts, enough to know that it's not obvious what
the “right” solution is.

Sorry about that - but that was the only way I could explain you not seeing how such a solution can work.

Cheers,

Mark