On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:51, "Martin v. Löwis"<mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Not as Mercurial, no. As Python, we can certainly expect that all of our
> contributors have read the developer FAQ, and set up their systems
> accordingly. If all else fails, we can revoke commit access (or is
> it "push access"?) if some committer doesn't get the configuration
> right. We would, of course, prefer if it was very easy to get the
> configuration right, so that problems don't occur in the first place.

There will also be non-committers who forge changesets that you want
to be able to push directly to the Python repositories.

> If the client machines were the primary line of defense, Windows users
> were treated equally: they would make as few mistakes as Unix users,
> because the hooks do what they want correctly.

Similarly, if Python kept its .py files in \r\n line endings by
default instead of \n endings, Unix-like users would be more prone to
mistake, so by keeping the .py files in \n-format, so Python is making
Windows users second-rate by keeping the line endings in \n format. To
cope with that, hg needs to do extra work on the client side.

Cheers,

Dirkjan