On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 05:20, Eric Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:
> Mark Dickinson wrote:
>>
>> What are the current plans for PEP 328 (the absolute imports PEP) in
>> Python 2.x?
>>
>> The PEP says:
>>
>> """In Python 2.6, any import statement that results in an
>> intra-package import will raise DeprecationWarning (this also applies
>> to from <> import that fails to use the relative import syntax). In
>> Python 2.7, import will always be an absolute import (and the
>> __future__ directive will no longer be needed)."""
>>
>> As far as I can tell, there's no DeprecationWarning in 2.6.
>>
>> I'm wondering whether this decision was revised at some point (I
>> wasn't able to find anything by searching the archives), or whether
>> the DeprecationWarning just got forgotten about.
>>
>> If the latter, should the DeprecationWarning be introduced in 2.7?
>
> Not sure about the decision one way or the other. But if there's not going
> to be a 2.8, and if DeprecationWarnings are off by default anyway, I'm not
> sure it makes any sense to add a DeprecationWarning in 2.7. From my quick
> testing, -3 doesn't warn about relative imports. Perhaps a better strategy
> in this particular case is to make -3 give that warning?

+1 on the -3 option.

> Aside:
> We really need a better way to track things we need to do in the next
> version of Python so things like this don't fall through the cracks. We
> added a 3.2 version tag before 3.1 was released so that we could add a few
> "remember to do this in 3.2" issues dealing with deprecations. Perhaps it's
> time to add a 3.3 version tag? I don't think we should add a 2.8 tag, that
> would give false hope.

It should definitely be added by the alpha, but I don't know if now is
a bit early. Regardless, I looked at the tracker and the code there
doesn't seem to match what has been pushed to bugs.python.org (3.2 is
not listed and 2.4 still is). Martin, is that correct? Otherwise why
does initial_data.py not match what's live?

-Brett