On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:
> On Feb 03, 2010, at 04:21 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>exar...@twistedmatrix.com wrote:

>>> In Python 2.6 as well.
>>
>>Right, but there are a few issues in 2.6 that will be fixed
>>in 2.7.
>
> The one that bites me most often is that in 2.6, keyword arguments must be
> strs; unicodes are not accepted:
>
> -----snip snip-----
> from __future__ import unicode_literals
>
> def func(foo, bar):
>    print foo, bar
>
> kw = {'foo': 7, 'bar': 9}
> func(**kw)
> -----snip snip-----
>
> That will raise a TypeError in 2.6 but works in 2.7.  Is it appropriate and
> feasible to back port that to Python 2.6?  I remember talking about this a
> while back but I don't remember what we decided and I can't find a bug on the
> issue.

I don't know about feasible but I think it's (borderline) appropriate.
There are various other paths that lead to this error and it feels to
me it's just a long-standing bug that we never took care of until 2.7.
However, I don't think it needs to support non-ASCII characters in the
keywords (even though 2.7 does seem to support those).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)