On Sat, 22 May 2010 19:12:05 +1000, Brian Quinlan <br...@sweetapp.com> wrote:
> On May 22, 2010, at 5:30 AM, Dj Gilcrease wrote:
> > On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Brian Quinlan <br...@sweetapp.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Except that now isn't the time for that discussion. This PEP has
> >> discussed
> >> on-and-off for several months on both stdlib-sig and python-dev.
> >
> > I think any time till the PEP is accepted is a good time to discuss
> > changes to the API
>
> I disagree. If a PEP is being updated continuously then there is
> nothing stable to pronounce on.

Well, you've been making updates as a result of this round of
discussion.

If there is still discussion then perhaps the PEP isn't ready for
pronouncement yet.  At some point someone can decide it is all
bikeshedding and ask for pronouncement on that basis, but I don't
think it is appropriate to cut off discussion by saying "it's ready for
pronouncement" unless you want increase the chances of its getting
rejected.

The usual way of doing this (at least so far as I have observed, which
granted hasn't been too many cases) is to say something like "I think
this PEP is ready for pronouncement" and then wait for feedback on that
assertion or for the pronouncement.  It's especially good if you can answer
any concerns that are raised with "that was discussed already and we
concluded X".  Bonus points for finding a thread reference and adding
it to the PEP :)

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com