On May 23, 2010, at 7:15 PM, geremy condra wrote:

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Brian Quinlan <br...@sweetapp.com> wrote:

<snip>

Finally, why isn't this just a module on PyPI? It doesn't seem like there's any particular benefit to making this a stdlib module and going through the
whole PEP process - except maybe to prompt feedback like this :).

We've already had this discussion before. Could you explain why this module should *not* be in the stdlib e.g. does it have significantly less utility
than other modules in stdlib? Is it significantly higher risk? etc?

Inclusion in the stdlib is the exception, not the rule, and every
exception should be issued for a good reason. I'd like to know
what that reason is in this case,

This package eliminates the need to construct the boilerplate present in many Python applications i.e. a thread or process pool, a work queue and result queue. It also makes it easy to take an existing Python application that executes (e.g. IO operations) in sequence and execute them in parallel. It package provides common idioms for two existing modules i.e. multiprocessing offers map functionality while threading doesn't. Those idioms are well understood and already present in Java and C++.

if only to get a clearer
understanding of why the PEP was accepted.

It hasn't been accepted.

Issues like the ones I'm bringing up could be fixed pretty straightforwardly if it were just a matter of filing a bug on a small package, but fixing a
stdlib module is a major undertaking.

True but I don't think that is a convincing argument. A subset of the
functionality provided by this module is already available in Java and C++ and (at least in Java) it is used extensively and without too much trouble. If there are implementation bugs then we can fix them just like we would
with any other module.

Guido made exactly the opposite argument during his keynote at PyCon.
It seemed fairly reasonable at the time- why do you think it doesn't apply
here?

Could you be a little more specific about Guido's argument at PyCon?

Cheers,
Brian