On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:56:16 +0100
Michael Foord <fuzzy...@voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> > This is the kind of approach that seems to hold the most promise of
> > removing the GIL without incurring the single-threaded performance hit
> > that has been the achilles heel of previous attempts at creating a
> > free-threaded CPython implementation. With first IronClad and now PyPy
> > blazing the trail in interfacing a garbage collected Python
> > implementation with deterministic refcounting for C extension modules,
> > it seems plausible that this kind of approach may eventually prove
> > acceptable.
> >
> > Furthermore, the with statement now provides a superior alternative to
> > application level tricks that previously relied on deterministic
> > refcounting.
> >
> > While multi-threading does break down beyond a certain number of
> > cores, it *is* possible to do safely (particularly using queues to
> > pass references around) and can avoid plenty of serialisation overhead
> > when dealing with sizable data structures.
> >

> Breaking binary compatibility with C extensions would be "difficult"
> once PEP 384 (stable binary ABI) has gone into effect.

"Stable" doesn't mean eternal. At worse, we could call the result
Python 4.0.

It should be noted, though, that a full GC can be detrimental to
real-time applications. Kristján has already explained how some of his
software disabled the cyclic GC, and took care of breaking cycles
manually instead.

Regards

Antoine.