On 12/20/2010 8:38 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

Given the changing dynamics of the desktop launch menus to better
support direct access as an alternative to hierarchical navigation,
would it be reasonable to consider including the major version number
in the start menu shortcut names?

I would very much like that. I once changed some the entries but bugfix or later alpha/beta/gamma/final installation reset everything.

(Question is mainly for Martin, obviously, but I'm also curious if
anyone else has encountered the same thing)

Now that I have multiple versions of Python installed (for development testing), I have *three* identical 'IDLE (Python GUI)' entries in the left-hand frequently-used programs column of the Start panel. This is really useless and therefore a waste of space.

--
Terry Jan Reedy