On 12/21/2010 7:01 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM, "Martin v. Löwis"<mar...@v.loewis.de>  wrote:
Given the changing dynamics of the desktop launch menus to better
support direct access as an alternative to hierarchical navigation,
would it be reasonable to consider including the major version number
in the start menu shortcut names?

(Question is mainly for Martin, obviously, but I'm also curious if
anyone else has encountered the same thing)

I can't see anything wrong with that, but I'm terrible with wording.
So somebody would have to spell out the exact wording that each of
the start menu items should have. In doing so, also take into
consideration that some people install 32-bit and 64-bit versions
simultaneously.

I put my initial proposal (reproduced below) at
http://bugs.python.org/issue10747. I'll let this thread run a bit and
see if there are any substantial improvements suggested, or valid
objections raised (I tried to pre-empt the length issue by pushing the
typically least important information to the end). I also considered
using the x86 and x64 abbreviations, but being explicit seemed
clearer.

Shortcuts currently installed:
- Python (command line)
- Python Manuals
- Module Docs
- IDLE (Python GUI)
- Uninstall Python

Initial proposal for 32 bit builds:
- Python 3.2 (command line - 32 bit)
- Python 3.2 Manuals
- Python 3.2 Docs Server (pydoc - 32 bit)
    Python 3.2 PyDoc Server (32 bit)
is shorter. But since pydoc.py is has no 'bitness',

    PyDoc Server (Python 3.2 - 32 bit)
is more in line with below

- IDLE (Python 3.2 GUI - 32 bit)

I think of IDLE as an IDE, not a GUI, but IDLE IDE does not work too well. In any case, it also has no 'bitness'.

    IDLE GUI (Python 3.2 - 32 bit)

--
Terry Jan Reedy