On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Given the changing dynamics of the desktop launch menus to better
>> support direct access as an alternative to hierarchical navigation,
>> would it be reasonable to consider including the major version number
>> in the start menu shortcut names?
>>
>> (Question is mainly for Martin, obviously, but I'm also curious if
>> anyone else has encountered the same thing)
>
> I can't see anything wrong with that, but I'm terrible with wording.
> So somebody would have to spell out the exact wording that each of
> the start menu items should have. In doing so, also take into
> consideration that some people install 32-bit and 64-bit versions
> simultaneously.

I put my initial proposal (reproduced below) at
http://bugs.python.org/issue10747. I'll let this thread run a bit and
see if there are any substantial improvements suggested, or valid
objections raised (I tried to pre-empt the length issue by pushing the
typically least important information to the end). I also considered
using the x86 and x64 abbreviations, but being explicit seemed
clearer.

Shortcuts currently installed:
- Python (command line)
- Python Manuals
- Module Docs
- IDLE (Python GUI)
- Uninstall Python

Initial proposal for 32 bit builds:
- Python 3.2 (command line - 32 bit)
- Python 3.2 Manuals
- Python 3.2 Docs Server (pydoc - 32 bit)
- IDLE (Python 3.2 GUI - 32 bit)
- Uninstall Python 3.2 (32 bit)

Initial proposal for 64 bit builds:
- Python 3.2 (command line - 64 bit)
- Python 3.2 Manuals
- Python 3.2 Docs Server (pydoc - 64 bit)
- IDLE (Python 3.2 GUI - 64 bit)
- Uninstall Python 3.2 (64 bit)

Cheers,
Nick.