Tres Seaver wrote:

On 09/01/2011 02:54 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
If you look at Wikipedia, it says: “El alfabeto español consta de 27 letras”. The Ñ is separate from the N (and so is it in my French-Spanish dictionnary). The accented letters, however, are not considered separately. http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfabeto_espa%C3%B1ol

(I can't tell you how annoying to type "ñ" is when the tilde is accessed using AltGr + 2 and you have to combine that with the Compose key and N to obtain the full character. I'm sure Spanish keyboards have a better way than that :-))

FWIW, I was taught that Spanish had 30 letters in the alfabeto:  the
'ñ', plus 'ch', 'll', and 'rr' were all considered distinct characters.

Kids-these-days'ly,

Not sure what's going on, but according to the article Antoine linked to those aren't letters anymore... so much for the cultural awareness portion of UNESCO.

~Ethan~