On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:38:07 -0700
Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> > FWIW, I was taught that Spanish had 30 letters in the alfabeto:  the
> > 'ñ', plus 'ch', 'll', and 'rr' were all considered distinct characters.
> >
> > Kids-these-days'ly,
>
> Not sure what's going on, but according to the article Antoine linked to
> those aren't letters anymore...  so much for the cultural awareness
> portion of UNESCO.

That Wikipedia article also says:

“Los dígrafos Ch y Ll tienen valores fonéticos específicos, y durante
los siglos XIX y XX se ordenaron separadamente de C y L, aunque la
práctica se abandonó en 1994 para homogeneizar el sistema con otras
lenguas.”

-> roughly: “the "Ch" and "Ll" digraphs have specific phonetic values,
and during the 19th and 20th centuries they were ordered separately
from C and L, but this practice was abandoned in 1994 in order to
make the system consistent with other languages.”

And about "rr":

“El dígrafo rr (llamado erre, /'ere/, y pronunciado /r/) nunca se
consideró por separado, probablemente por no aparecer nunca en posición
inicial.”

-> “the "rr" digraph was never considered separate, probably because it
never appears at the very beginning of a word.”

Regards

Antoine.