Fred Drake wrote:
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Ned Batchelder <n...@nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
There are bad designers, or more to the point, designers who favor the
overall look of the page at the expense of the utility of the page.  That
doesn't mean all designers are bad, or that "design" is bad.  Don't throw
out the baby with the bathwater.

I get that.  I'm not bad-mouthing actual design, and there are definitely
good designers out there.

It's unfortunate they're so seriously outnumbered.

As they say, the 99% who are lousy designers give the rest a bad name.

*wink*

My first impression of this page:

http://www.python.org/~gbrandl/build/html/index.html

was that the grey side-bar gives the page a somber, perhaps even dreary, look. First impressions count, and I'm afraid that first look didn't work for me.

But clicking through onto other pages with more text improved my feelings. A big +1 on the pale green shading of code blocks.

The basic design seems good to me. I'd prefer a serif font for blocks of text, while keeping sans serif for the headings, but that's a mild preference.

Looking forward to seeing the next iteration.

--
Steven