2012/4/7 Janzert <janz...@janzert.com>:
> On 4/5/2012 6:32 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> I prefer to use CLOCK_MONOTONIC, not because it is also available for
>> older Linux kernels, but because it is more reliable. Even if the
>> underlying clock source is unstable (unstable frequency), a delta of
>> two reads of the CLOCK_MONOTONIC clock is a result in *seconds*,
>> whereas CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW may use an unit a little bit bigger or
>> smaller than a second. time.monotonic() unit is the second, as written
>> in its documentation.
>
> I believe the above is only true for sufficiently large time deltas. One of
> the major purposes of NTP slewing is to give up some short term accuracy in
> order to achieve long term accuracy (e.g. whenever the clock is found to be
> ahead of real time it is purposefully ticked slower than real time).

I don't think that NTP works like that. NTP only uses very smooth adjustements:

""slewing": change the clock frequency to be slightly faster or slower
(which is done with adjtime()). Since the slew rate is limited to 0.5
ms/s, each second of adjustment requires an amortization interval of
2000 s. Thus, an adjustment of many seconds can take hours or days to
amortize."
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0418/#ntp-adjustment

> So for benchmarking it would not be surprising to be better off with the
> non-adjusted clock. Ideally there would be a clock that was slewed "just
> enough" to try and achieve short term accuracy, but I don't know of anything
> providing that.

time.monotonic() is not written for benchmarks. It does not have the
highest frequecency, it's primary property is that is monotonic. A
side effect is that it is usually the steadiest clock.

For example, on Windows time.monotonic() has only an accuracy of 15 ms
(15 milliseconds not 15 microseconds).

If you consider that the PEP should also solve the issue of
benchmarking clock, we should continue the work on this section:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0418/#deferred-api-time-perf-counter

Victor