On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzy...@voidspace.org.uk>wrote:

> On 17 Jul 2012, at 23:04, mar...@v.loewis.de wrote:
>
> >> [snip...]
> >
> >> I would like to use a JIT to generate specialized functions for a
> >> combinaison of arguments types.
> >
> > I think history has moved past specializing JITs. Tracing JITs are the
> > status quo; they provide specialization as a side effect.
> >

> Mozilla implemented a method-JIT (compile whole methods) on top of their
> tracing JIT because a tracing JIT only optimises part of your code (only in
> loops and only if executed more times than the threshold) and there are
> further performance improvements to be had. So tracing JITs are not the
> *whole* of the state of the art.
>
> Michael

I'm sorry michael but you're like a 100th person I have to explain this to.
The pure reason that mozilla did not make a tracing JIT work does not mean
the entire approach is horribly doomed as many people would like to assume.
The reasons are multiple, but a lot of them are connected to poor
engineering (for example the part inherited from adobe is notoriously bad,
have a look if you want).

Cheers,
fijal