On 12 December 2012 16:11, Brian Curtin <br...@python.org> wrote:
> I don't think it's all that bad to include a small script on Windows
> which runs every few days to check PyPI, then present an option to
> update the info. This is what Java itself is doing anyway.

What would that do in an environment without internet access? Or with
a firewall blocking Python's requests and returning an error page
without warning (so the updater just sees incorrect data)? What about
corporate environments that want to control the rollout of updates? (I
can't imagine that in practice, but certainly companies do it for
Java). Most Windows updaters use the "official" Windows APIs so that
they work properly with odd cases like ISA proxies taking credentials
from the Windows user login. Python's stdlib doesn't support that type
of thing.

I'm -1 on auto-updating because it's too easy to produce a "nearly
right" solution that doesn't work in highly-controlled (e.g.,
corporate) environments. And a "correct" solution would be hard to
support with python-dev's level of Windows expertise.

Paul.