On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Steve Dower <steve.do...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Details of the registry entries are at
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms725481.aspx. It looks like the data
> is focused on modern timezones rather than localities, which would mean a
> many-to-one mapping from zoneinfo. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's
> enough overlap to allow an automated mapping.

No, but the Unicode consortium (I think) is keeping a mapping updated
manually. I'm using that in tzlocal, to figure out the local timezone
of the computer on Windows.
However, I think that mixing and matching timezone data in this way
from the two systems are likely to be full of pitfalls edge-cases and
complexities I do not dare even think seriously about. There will
probably be *less* errors by just keeping an old timezone database
around. Besides, what it they don't run Windows update? Then the data
still is outdated?

//Lennart