On 12/12/2012 11:53 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

Bingo. As long as the recipe to update is clear, most users can ignore
this, because the countries about which they care don't change DST
rules often enough for it to matter. When it does matter, they'll know
(changing the DST rules is something that local news sources tend to
track :-) and they can update their software when stuff they use
starts getting the time wrong. Obviously sysadmins responsible for
large numbers of users can make this into a routine, and ditto people
who run services. But these folks are professionals and are good at
automating tasks like this.

As a Windows user, I would like there to be one tz data file used by all Python versions on my machine, including ones included with other apps. I would like every installer, including for bug fix releases, to update it. This should be sufficient for 99% of Windows users. As Guido says above, the docs should tell the other 1% how to update it explicitly.

--
Terry Jan Reedy