I want to add one more PoV: small performance regression, especially on
Python 2.
Because programs that needs byte formatting may be low level and used
heavily from application.

Many programs uses one source approach to support Python 3.
And supporting Python 3 should not means large performance regression on
Python 2.

In Python 2:

In [1]: def int_to_bytes(n):
   ...:     return unicode(n).encode('ascii')
   ...:

In [2]: %timeit int_to_bytes(42)
1000000 loops, best of 3: 691 ns per loop

In [3]: %timeit b'Content-Type: ' + int
int           int_to_bytes  intern

In [3]: %timeit b'Content-Type: ' + int_to_bytes(42)
1000000 loops, best of 3: 737 ns per loop

In [4]: %timeit b'Content-Type: %d' % 42
10000000 loops, best of 3: 20.2 ns per loop

In [5]: %timeit (u'Content-Type: %d' % 42).encode('ascii')
1000000 loops, best of 3: 381 ns per loop

In Python 3:

In [1]: def int_to_bytes(n):
   ...:     return str(n).encode('ascii')
   ...:

In [2]: %timeit int_to_bytes(42)
1000000 loops, best of 3: 612 ns per loop

In [3]: %timeit b'Content-Type: ' + int_to_bytes(42)
1000000 loops, best of 3: 668 ns per loop

In [4]: %timeit ('Content-Type: %d' % 42).encode('ascii')
1000000 loops, best of 3: 326 ns per loop

INADA Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>