On 12/01/2014 21:06, Greg Ewing wrote:
Paul Moore wrote:
I could easily argue at this point that this is the type of bug that
having %-formatting operations on bytes would encourage - %s means
"format a string" (from years of C and Python (text) experience) so I
automatically supply a string argument when using %s in a bytes
formatting context.

So don't call it %s -- call it something else
such as %b.

Sorry but you can't use %b as that'll confuse people who're used to it meaning "Month as locale’s abbreviated name." :)

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence