On 21 February 2014 22:42, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21 February 2014 13:15, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> PEP: 463
>>> Title: Exception-catching expressions
>> Great work on this Chris - this is one of the best researched and
>> justified Python syntax proposals I've seen :)
>
> It is? Wow... I'm not sure what that says about other syntax
> proposals. This is one week's python-ideas discussion plus one little
> script doing analysis on the standard library. Hardly PhD level
> research :)

Right, it just takes someone willing to put in the time to actually
put a concrete proposal together, read all the discussions, attempt to
summarise them into a coherent form and go looking for specific
examples to help make their case.

I think a large part of my pleased reaction is the fact that several
of the python-ideas regulars (including me) have a habit of responding
to new syntax proposals with a list of things to do to make a good PEP
(especially Raymond's "search the stdlib for code that would be
improved" criterion), and it's quite a novelty to have someone take
that advice and put together a compelling argument - the more typical
reaction is for the poster to decide that a PEP sounds like too much
work and drop the idea (or else to realise that they can't actually
provide the compelling use cases requested).

As you have discovered, creating a PEP really isn't that arduous, so
long as you have enough spare time to keep up with the discussions,
and there actually are compelling examples of possible improvements
readily available :)

Cheers,
Nick.