On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> The problem with backporting SSLContext is really that 1) you are adding
> a non-minimal new API set to the 2.7 feature set; 2) you must make it so
> that other stdlib modules take advantage of the new APIs (otherwise
> why bother?).

I actually worry about another scenario. Suppose we backport SSLContext to
2.7.7. There is plenty of software out there nowadays that uses a single
source for Python 2 and 3 compatibility. Given that SSLContext until now
has only been available in Python 3, and given the recommendation to use
dynamic feature detection, not version checks, it's at least *conceivable*
that some library detects SSLContext and switches to some code that uses
Python-3-only features (of the variety that don't cause syntax errors in
Python 2).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)