On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 23:09:45 +1000
Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alternative: selectively backport particular APIs
>
> An instinctively minimalist reaction to this proposal is to only backport
> particular APIs in the affected modules that are judged to be "security
> critical". However, this ends up providing a worse end user experience,
> as well as a worse developer experience.
>
> For end users, the selective backporting approach means learning not only
> the legacy Python 2.7 API and the current Python 3 APIs, but also the
> hybrid API created by the selective backporting process.

I think this is a strawman, since you are also advocating for a
"feature detection" approach to writing cross-version code. It is
already required, actually, if wanting to write code compatible from
3.2 to 3.4 (for example, SSLContext exists in 3.2 but
create_default_context appears in 3.4 while OP_NO_COMPRESSION appears
in 3.3).

I would much rather selectively backport a minimal set of APIs than the
whole range of ssl APIs. There are things there (RAND_bytes,
RAND_pseudo_bytes) that are not even useful for network security, or
only in a rather uncommon manner (such as channel bindings).

Regards

Antoine.