On 05/30/2014 09:46 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 4:43 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

For that last point, my interest is as much educational as it is in
easing the transition from Python 2. The parentheses in "print('Hello
world!')" mean introducing the idea of function calls early to explain
how it works, while being able to omit them makes it easier to gloss
over the distinction between statements and function calls initially
and then cover it later after the basics of flow control have been
nailed down.

However, I also believe that when teaching it's better to introduce the "right
way" to do something up front, rather
than a "beginners' way", then later say, well, you really SHOULD do it this
other way...

+1

Function calls are not that hard to understand. Anybody who has ever asked someone to do something for them should have a basic grasp of the nature of a function call.

--
~Ethan~