On 24.09.2014 03:48, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 24 September 2014 03:05, Steve Dower <steve.do...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Larry Hastings wrote:
>>>
>>> On 09/19/2014 03:31 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>>> I think we need a Python 3.5 Release Schedule PEP.
>>>
>>> Just checked it in as PEP 478.  It should show up here in a few minutes:
>>> http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0478/
>>>
>>> Key facts:
>>> . Beta 1 is May 24th 2015, about a month after the end of the PyCon US 2015
>>> sprints.
>>> . Final release is September 13, 2015, just over a year from now.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>
>> Martin is no longer producing the Windows installers - that task has been
>> handed to me. I'm planning to have a rewritten installer (also in the same
>> repo) that should be easier to modify and maintain, as well as being able to
>> produce alternative packages (such as a Python 3.5 or stdlib merge module,
>> for example), though that doesn't necessarily need to go into the PEP.
>>
>> I'm also considering/experimenting with installing into "Program Files" by
>> default, but I suspect that isn't going to work out yet.
>>
>> I'd like to move the Windows versions onto the next release of VC (currently
>> "VC 14" until the branding team figures out what to call it). There isn't a
>> promised RTM date for VC 14 yet, so it looks like the best available
>> compiler by Beta 1 will be a "Go Live" RC. (The "Go Live" marking basically
>> means "we think this is ready for use, but expect a round of minor
>> updates/fixes soon - the compiler is least likely to be updated, my guess is
>> that it'll be Visual Studio UI mostly).
>>
>> I personally don't have any qualms about using the RC compiler for Beta 1,
>> and Beta 2 will almost certainly use VC 14 RTM, but I know when I proposed
>> this topic that some people were concerned about having the final version
>> available for Python 3.5 Beta.
>>
>> So far I've been building regularly with internal versions of VC and haven't
>> been hitting any major issues with Python (OpenSSL has some issues, but I've
>> been filing bugs on both sides so they should be worked out soon enough). My
>> work is at http://hg.python.org/sandbox/steve.dower (branch: VC14) for
>> anyone interested.
>>
>> For the alphas, I'm contemplating producing two builds (VC 10 and VC 14),
>> but I obviously want to settle on one or the other by Beta. Last time we
>> discussed it, there was strong support for changing compiler, but I have a
>> better idea of the timeline now and it's tighter than I thought...
>>
>> Thoughts, anyone?
>
> It's ultimately up to Larry as RM, but I'd personally favour targeting
> the newer compiler and runtime, even with the slight risk of
> potentially needing to slip our schedule. There's also a fair amount
> of wiggle room between the first beta and the first release candidate.

I'd rather be conservative here and wait for another Python release
before switching VC versions. There are a few important questions
that need answers before we can consider a new VC version:

 * Will there be free versions available ?

 * Will those free editions include the 64-bit compilers ?

 * Will those free editions include the optimizing compilers ?

 * Is there a roadmap for how long these free versions will remain
   officially available ?

 * Are there issues compiling 3rd party libraries with it ?

   E.g. the numeric and science stacks, the web stacks,
   the deployment stacks, etc.

 * What license terms will the new version have ?

   E.g. GPL compatibility issues, weird exceptions,

 * What will the pricing structure look like ?

   While core devs will get free MSDN licenses, most other 3rd party
   providers will have to buy licenses for the compiler, unless
   they can use the free versions.

An alternative would be targeting VC13 instead of VC14, in case it
has good answers for the above questions. It's been around for a
year now, so there should be more experience available with this
version.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 24 2014)
2014-09-27: PyDDF Sprint 2014 ...                           3 days to go
2014-09-30: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                  6 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/