Thanks for the insights, Steve.

More below...

On 24.09.2014 18:52, Steve Dower wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>
>> I'd rather be conservative here and wait for another Python release before
>> switching VC versions. There are a few important questions that need answers
>> before we can consider a new VC version:
>>
>> * Will there be free versions available ?
>>
>> * Will those free editions include the 64-bit compilers ?
>>
>> * Will those free editions include the optimizing compilers ?
>>
>> * Is there a roadmap for how long these free versions will remain
>> officially available ?
>>
>> * Are there issues compiling 3rd party libraries with it ?
>>
>> E.g. the numeric and science stacks, the web stacks,
>> the deployment stacks, etc.
>>
>> * What license terms will the new version have ?
>>
>> E.g. GPL compatibility issues, weird exceptions,
>>
>> * What will the pricing structure look like ?
>>
>> While core devs will get free MSDN licenses, most other 3rd party
>> providers will have to buy licenses for the compiler, unless
>> they can use the free versions.
>>
>> An alternative would be targeting VC13 instead of VC14, in case it has good
>> answers for the above questions. It's been around for a year now, so there
>> should be more experience available with this version.
>
> (Nit - it's actually VC12 a.k.a. "Visual Studio 2013" - VC13 was skipped.
> This is what happens when you have separate engineering and marketing teams
> :) )

Ah, ok :-)

> I don't have good answers to all of these yet, but none of them are going to
> be any worse than for VC12. I've forwarded these questions to the people on
> the VC team who do get to choose the answers, and while I'm not expecting to
> hear specifics back from them, they are at least aware of the concerns and
> how important their product is to our community.
>
> There will be free versions available, but I don't know what format they'll
> be in. Those free editions should include identical compilers to the paid
> ones - the cases where that hasn't been true have been bugs or due to
> assumptions that were proven to be incorrect.
>
> The main improvement in this version is that all versions from VC14 should be
> binary compatible, and so there will always be a free compiler, but it may be
> VC15/16/etc. and not VC14.

That's good news.

> There are certainly issues with 3rd party libraries, largely because all
> projects have a tendency to take dependencies on compiler/library internals.
> OpenSSL, for example, redefines the stdout/in/err macros based on the VC
> version, but the new definitions are no longer valid with VC14, and so they
> are fixing that. Python itself has a few issues that I have already fixed in
> my branch. There will certainly be other issues, but an advantage of starting
> early is that bugs in the compiler itself can be fixed in the compiler.
>
> The license should not change significantly from previous versions. GPL
> incompatibilities are because the GPL wants to be incompatible with licenses
> based on different ideologies - AFAIK there's never been anything in the VC
> licenses preventing whatever redistribution license you like.

As example: there once was a special clause which explicitly
disallowed "Excluded License[s]" to be used together with
VC redistibutable files. I think this is no longer the case, but
there may be new things in the EULAs.

> Part of my improvements to /PCBuild will help avoid the need for Visual
> Studio entirely, but the free versions should always be sufficient for
> building and debugging. I have no insight or control over the pricing
> structure.

Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 24 2014)
2014-09-27: PyDDF Sprint 2014 ...                           3 days to go
2014-09-30: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                  6 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/