On 4/12/2016 12:14, Sven R. Kunze wrote:
I cannot remember us using another datetime library. So, I don't value this "advantage" as much as you do.

They exist, and there are many cases where you would use a datetime library other than datetime for various reasons (integration in third party systems is only one reason). But this is just a tangent.

In fact the situation with pathlib is similar to datetime - before the inclusion of datetime in the stdlib, there were several datetime libraries available. Before pathlib, there were several path object libraries. Only now, the third party options offer a great deal of competition over the stdlib option, thus these many hundreds, if not thousands, of emails on the subject.