On 27.05.2016 06:54, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

>> On May 25, 2016, at 3:29 AM, Christian Heimes <christ...@python.org> wrote:
>>
>> I have three hashing-related patches for Python 3.6 that are waiting for
>> review. Altogether the three patches add ten new hash algorithms to the
>> hashlib module: SHA3 (224, 256, 384, 512), SHAKE (SHA3 XOF 128, 256),
>> BLAKE2 (blake2b, blake2s) and truncated SHA512 (224, 256).
>
> Do we really need ten?  I don't think the standard library is the place to
> offer all variants of hashing.  And we should avoid getting in a cycle of
> "this was just released by NIST" and "nobody uses that one anymore".  Is any
> one of them an emergent best practice (i.e. starting to be commonly used in
> network protocols because it is better, faster, stronger, etc)?
>
> Your last message on https://bugs.python.org/issue16113 suggests that these
> aren't essential and that there is room for debate about whether some of them
> are standard-library worthy (i.e. we will have them around forever).

I can understand your eagerness to get this landed, since it's
been 4 years since work started, but I think we should wait with
the addition until OpenSSL has them:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/439

The current patch is 1.2MB for SHA-3 - that's pretty heavy for just
a few hash functions, which aren't in any wide spread use yet and
probably won't be for quite a few years ahead.

IMO, relying on OpenSSL is a better strategy than providing
(and maintaining) our own compatibility versions. Until OpenSSL
has them, people can use Björn's package:

https://github.com/bjornedstrom/python-sha3

Perhaps you could join forces with Björn to create a standard
SHA-3 standalone package on PyPI based on your two variants
which we could recommend to people in the docs ?!

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, May 27 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/