On 27.05.2016 17:44, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal wrote:
>>> , which aren't in any wide spread use yet and
>> probably won't be for quite a few years ahead.
>
> Anything added to the stdlib now will be in py3.6+, yes?
>
> Which won't be in widespread use for quite a few years yet, either.
>
> So if ( and that's a big if) it's possible to anticipate what will be
> in widespread use in a couple years, getting it in now would be a good
> thing.

You cut away the important part of what I said:
"The current patch is 1.2MB for SHA-3 - that's pretty heavy for
just a few hash functions, ..."

If people want to use the hashes earlier, this is already possible
via a separate package, so we're not delaying their use.

It is clear that SHA-3 will get more traction in coming years (*),
but I'm pretty sure that OpenSSL will have good implementations by
the time people will actively start using the new hash algorithm
and then hashlib will automatically make that available (hashlib
uses the OpenSSL EVP abstraction, so will be able to use any
new algorithms added to OpenSSL).

However, if we add the reference implementation now, we'd then be
left with 1.2MB unnecessary code in the stdlib.

The question is not so much: is SHA-3 useful or not, it's
whether we want to maintain this forever going forward or
not.

(*) People are just now starting to move from SHA-1 to SHA-2
and SHA-2 was standardized in 2001. Python received SHA-2 support
in 2006. So there's plenty of time to decide :-)