We may be in violent agreement.

I propose *not* to add a way to *disable* hashing when the rest of the
flags to @dataclass() would indicate that it's safe to add a __hash__
method.

I propose that with @dataclass(unsafe_hash=False) (the default), a __hash__
method is added when the following conditions are true:

- frozen=True (not the default)
- compare=True (the default)
- no __hash__ method is defined in the class

If we instead use @dataclass(unsafe_hash=True), a __hash__ will be added
regardless of the other flags, but if a __hash__ method is present, an
exception is raised.

Other values (e.g. unsafe_hash=None) are illegal for this flag.

Note that the the hash= flag to the field() function is unchanged from
what's currently in PEP 557 or in the implementation in 3.7.0b1. In
particular, the generated __hash__ method will disregard fields declared
using field(hash=False). It will also disregard fields declared using
field(compare=False, hash=False|None).

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)