On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:

It sounds like `unsafe_hash=True` indicates a truly unsafe hash (that is,
>> mutable data is involved in the hash calculation), but there still seems
>> to be one possibility for an "unsafe_hash" to actually be safe -- that is,
>> if only immutable fields are used in __eq__, then dataclass could safely
>> generate a hash for us.

Do we have a way to know if the equality fields are hashable?  I suppose
>> we could check each one for a for a non-None __hash__.  Then we could
>> modify that first condition from

- frozen=True

- frozen=True or all(getattr(eq_fld, '__hash__', None) is not None for
>>       eq_field in equality_fields)

There seems to be a misunderstanding underlying these questions. Even if
> all fields have an immutable type (e.g. all ints, supporting __eq__ and
> __hash__), if the containing class isn't frozen, they can be assigned to.
> E.g.

@dataclass()
class Point:
  x: int
  y: int

p = Point(1, 1)
p.x = 2  # This is legal

The only way to make that assignment to p.x illegal is to make the *class*
> frozen (using @dataclass(frozen=True)) -- nothing we can do about the *field*
> will change this.

Oh, right. When I was thinking this I thought a field could be frozen individually, didn't find the option at the field level when I checked the PEP, and then promptly forgot and suggested it anyway.

Although, couldn't we add a field-level frozen attribute (using property for the implementation), and check that all equality fields are properties as well as hashable?

--
~Ethan~