On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:48 PM Stephen J. Turnbull <
turnbull.stephen...@u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Paul Moore writes:
>
>  > I'm just saying that I don't want core Python to implicitly install
>  > packages for me.
>
> +1
>
>  > But that's simply a personal opinion.
>
> +0.5
>
> It's not *purely* a personal opinion, though.  The original proposal
> is to include the facility and allow *script authors*, rather than
> script users, to invoke it.  Since the (original) motivation is for it
> to work for naive users, you'll want it on by default to support them
> (they're going to click on an icon, so command line options and
> environment variables are right out, no?)
>
> I have no objection to people who want to install this in their
> personal environments, but that doesn't serve the original use case of
> distributing code that depends on non-stdlib modules to people who
> aren't handy with pip.  To serve those use cases, we all need to get
> it by default.  That I personally don't want (for me or for the
> students I supervise), and I'm pretty sure my employer will take a
> very dim view of it.

I think that combining user convenience and security considerations, there
should be some way to invoke a GUI version of pip with flashing screen
asking for permissions to install the library. In situations where
interaction with the user is not trivial (i.e. when you don't have GUI
accessible) we can assume that the user is knowledgeable enough to install
the dependencies by herself. The import statement will be self explanatory
in this case.

Elazar