On 13 October 2016 at 04:49, Emanuel Barry <vgr...@live.ca> wrote:
>> From: Mikhail V
>> Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:57 PM
>> Subject: Re: [Python-ideas] Proposal for default character representation
> Hello, and welcome to Python-ideas, where only a small portion of ideas go
> further, and where most newcomers that wish to improve the language get hit
> by the reality bat! I hope you enjoy your stay :)
Hi, thanks! I enjoy the conversation indeed , never had so much interesting
in a discussion actually!

>> On 13 October 2016 at 01:50, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Mikhail V <mikhail...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Way WAY less readable, and I'm comfortable working in both hex and
>> decimal.
>> Please don't mix the readability and personal habit, which previuos
>> repliers seems to do as well. Those two things has nothing
>> to do with each other. If you are comfortable with old roman numbering
>> system this does not make it readable.
>> And I am NOT comfortable with hex, as well as most people would
>> be glad to use single notation.
>> But some of them think that they are cool because they know several
>> numbering notations ;) But I bet few can actually understand which is more
>> readable.
> I'll turn your argument around: Not being comfortable with hex does not make
> it unreadable; it's a matter of habit (as Brendan pointed out in his
> separate reply).

Matter of habit does not reflect the readability, see my last reply to Brandan.
It is quite precise engeneering. And readability it is kind of serious
stuff especially
if you decide for programming carreer.  Young people underestimate it
and for oldies it is too late when they realize it :) And Python is all about
readability and I like it.

As for your other points, I'll need to read it with fresh head tomorrow,
Of course I don't believe this would all suddenly happen with Python,
or other programming language, it is just an idea anyway. And I do
want to learn more actually. Especially want to see some example
where it would be really beneficial to use hex, either technically
(some low level binary related stuff?) or regarding comprehension, which
is to my knowledge hardly possible.

> - Indexing, and that's completely irrelevant to the topic at hand (also see
> above bullet point).
Eee how would I find if the character lies in certain range?
With index here I meant it's numeric value, I just called it index
for some reason, I don't know why. So its a table - value and
corresponding glyph.
Just consieder analogy: I make an 3d array, first index is my value,
and 2nd 3rd is image pixels, so simply image stack. Why on earth would
I use for 1st index some other literals than decimal. Did you see much
code written
with hex literals? Some low level things probably ...

> - ord() which returns an integer (which can be interpreted in any base!),
Yes so my idea is to stick to other notations than hex. for low level
bit manipulation
obviously two-character notation should be used, so again I fail to
see something...

Python-ideas mailing list
Code of Conduct: http://python.org/psf/codeofconduct/

Reply via email to