On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Mikhail V <mikhail...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 October 2016 at 23:58, Danilo J. S. Bellini
> <danilo.bell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Decimal notation is hardly
>> readable when we're dealing with stuff designed in base 2 (e.g. due to the
>> visual separation of distinct bytes).
>
> Hmm what keeps you from separateting the logical units to be represented each
> by a decimal number? like 001 023 255 ...
> Do you really think this is less readable than its hex equivalent?
> Then you are probably working with hex numbers only, but I doubt that.

Way WAY less readable, and I'm comfortable working in both hex and decimal.

>> I agree that mixing representations for the same abstraction (using decimal
>> in some places, hexadecimal in other ones) can be a bad idea.
> "Can be"? It is indeed a horrible idea. Also not only for same abstraction
> but at all.
>
>> makes me believe "decimal unicode codepoint" shouldn't ever appear in string
>> representations.
> I use this site to look the chars up:
> http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/en/general-info/unicode-decimal.html

You're the one who's non-standard here. Most of the world uses hex for
Unicode codepoints.

http://unicode.org/charts/

HTML entities permit either decimal or hex, but other than that, I
can't think of any common system that uses decimal for Unicode
codepoints in strings.

> PS:
> that is rather peculiar, three negative replies already but with no strong
> arguments why it would be bad to stick to decimal only, only some
> "others do it so" and "tradition" arguments.

"Others do it so" is actually a very strong argument. If all the rest
of the world uses + to mean addition, and Python used + to mean
subtraction, it doesn't matter how logical that is, it is *wrong*.
Most of the world uses U+201C or "\u201C" to represent a curly double
quote; if you us 0x93, you are annoyingly wrong, and if you use 8220,
everyone has to do the conversion from that to 201C. Yes, these are
all differently-valid standards, but that doesn't make it any less
annoying.

> Please note, I am talking only about readability _of the character
> set_ actually.
> And it is not including your habit issues, but rather is an objective
> criteria for using this or that character set.
> And decimal is objectively way more readable than hex standard character set,
> regardless of  how strong your habits are.

How many decimal digits would you use to denote a single character? Do
you have to pad everything to seven digits (\u0000034 for an ASCII
quote)? And if not, how do you mark the end? This is not "objectively
more readable" if the only gain is "no A-F" and the loss is
"unpredictable length".

ChrisA