> On Dec 1, 2019, at 8:15 AM, Jonathan Goble <jcgob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, 11:06 AM Ned Batchelder <n...@nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> On 12/1/19 10:45 AM, C. Titus Brown wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > sorry, took me more than a few months, but I wrote a draft of a
> > python-ideas HOWTO here,
> >
> > https://hackmd.io/@-6xkuCDkTrSFptQEimAdcg/B1noEGh2H

[ munch of good discussion ]

> > Thoughts? Am I missing am obvious location? Should I just get on with a PR
> > and we’ll sort it out later? :)
>
> There is a page that catalogs the mailing lists:
> https://www.python.org/community/lists/ .  A new page linked from the
> Python-Ideas description (which is very brief!) sounds good to me.
>
> Thanks again for doing this!
>
> --Ned.
>
> I'd suggest putting the full text on the list sign up page above the
> subscription form (to encourage reading before signing up) and perhaps even
> in the body of an automated welcome email upon subscribing.
>
> The goal is to have as many new subscribers read it as possible, and that
> requires making it as visible as possible. Text will be read if easily seen
> and not buried "below the fold". Links are much less likely to be followed.

Thanks Ned & Jonathan! I forgot to include some information in the original
e-mail —

I changed the python-ideas list so that new subscribers are by default under
moderation.  This was initially in response to the increase in spam, but also
provides the opportunity to serve as a gate that lets me and other moderators
respond to a first-post with “hey, have you read <THIS>? You really should!”

So, in addition to being linked in to the appropriate places, I’m hoping to
point to this document in a response to newcomers posting to the list. That
seems like another high-conversion target location in addition to having it be
on the list signup page and in a welcome message.

best,
—titus