Hi folks,

one of the list admins here, my eye was caught by this ongoing discussion.

I’m responding to this message out of several on this topic, because it brings
up an interesting point - do we have good documents on this process that are
attached to python-ideas and/or core mentoring lists?

I did some googling about, and the most specific thing I found was this
description of python-ideas:

“”"
This list is to contain discussion of speculative language ideas for Python for
possible inclusion into the language. If an idea gains traction it can then be
discussed and honed to the point of becoming a solid proposal to put to
python-dev as appropriate.
“””

which seems insufficient...

Should we provide a more explicit or detailed rationale for python-ideas, based
on this thread? We could make some or all of the following points —

* python-ideas is for discussion of speculative ideas

* the process is, (1) refine ideas here, (2) after broad acceptance of basic
premise, develop an informal writeup, (3) find a core dev sponsor who will back
turning this into a PEP

* pointers to PEP 1, https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/, and Python
governance, https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0013/

* pointers to core mentorship list,
https://www.python.org/dev/core-mentorship/, and python developer
documentation, https://devguide.python.org

* pointers to this thread

* please note that the burden for adding features to the language is high
because you’re affecting so many people, increasing support burden, etc. etc.

* note that everyone working on python is a volunteer, please respect their
time and effort.

I could try drafting something and passing it by people on this list to see
what they think, but I’m wondering if I’m missing an obvious resource that I
could just link to in the python-ideas description.

best,
—titus