On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 6:02 AM Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 at 17:32, Inada Naoki <songofaca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 7:42 PM M.-A. Lemburg <m...@egenix.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's a good blog post about setting env vars on Windows:
> > >
> > > https://www.dowdandassociates.com/blog/content/howto-set-an-environment-variable-in-windows-command-line-and-registry/
> > >
> > > It's not really much harder than on Unix platforms.
> > >

> > But it affects to all Python installs. Can teachers recommend to set
> > PYTHONUTF8 environment variable for students?
>
> Why is that an issue? In the first instance, do the sorts of
> "beginner" we're discussing here have multiple python installs? Would
> they need per-interpreter configuration of UTF-8 mode?

Hmm, I was afraid to break applications using existing Python in the system.

But if no one cares about it, I'm ok with just adding something like
"enable-utf8-mode.bat" / "disable-utf8-mode.bat".

> > I don't want to recommend env vars and registry for conda and portable
> > Python users...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here. Why is this different from (say)
> PYTHONPATH? How would conda and portable python users configure
> PYTHONPATH? Why is UTF-8 mode any different?
>
> Paul

How often PYTHONPATH is needed at all? I saw many people broke their
environment by setting PYTHONPATH. I don't recommend to use it at all.

On the other hand, I want to make teachers can recommend to enable
UTF-8 mode for students.
That is the defference between PYTHONUTF8 and PYTHONPATH.

--
Inada Naoki  <songofaca...@gmail.com>