Peter Ludemann writes:

 > From a mathematical point of view, x+y is equivalent to y+x,

Yes, other things being equal, mathematical purists would prefer '*'
to '+' for string concatenation *because* it's not commutative, but
they're not equal.  I imagine a good majority of folks can guess what
'" " * 8' and '"foot" + "ball"' mean, but they'd have a lot of trouble
even with '"two" * "two"' and '" " + 8'.

 > "++", "--", etc. would have been better choices for operators

I don't think I agree that proliferating operator symbols for
different types is a better idea.  I think making judicious choices
for overloading (with the default being Just Say No) is the best we're
going to get.