On Sun, 8 May 2022 at 19:38, Ethan Furman <et...@stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 5/8/22 05:08, Valentin Berlier wrote:
>

>  > This would make it really useful in if statements and list comprehensions.
> Here are a couple motivating examples:
>  >
>  >      # Buy every pizza on the menu
>  >       cost_for_all_pizzas = sum(
>  >           price for food in menu
>  >           if ({"type": "pizza", "price": price} := food)
>  >       )
>
> What exactly is that last line testing, and how does it differentiate between
> "pizza" and, say, "salad"?

And what is wrong with

    cost_for_all_pizzas = 0
    for food in menu:
        match food:
            case {"type": "pizza", "price": price}:
                cost_for_all_pizzas += price

Seriously, people are just getting used to match statements (I had to
look the syntax up for the above) so IMO it's a bit early to be trying
to cram them into dubious one-liners.

Paul.