On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 at 21:11, Jonathan Fine <jfine2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Some have liked adding a new syntax
>     a, b, ... = iterable
> to mean consume two items from the iterable. However,
>    a, b, Ellipsis = iterable
> has a different meaning (at least in Python 3.8). It redefines Ellipsis. (As
> an explicit constant, '...' can be redefined.)

To clarify: The syntactic token '...' will always refer to the special
object Ellipsis (at least back as far as Python 3.4 - can't remember
when it became available in all contexts), but the name Ellipsis can
be rebound. So even though, in many contexts, "x = Ellipsis" and "x =
..." will have the same net effect, they are distinct (one is a name
lookup and the other is a constant), and they're definitely different
in assignment.

(Though it wouldn't surprise me if a future Python release adds
Ellipsis to the set of non-assignable names, with None/True/False.)

> The syntax
>   a, b, ... = iterable
> so to speak fills a gap in existing syntax, as the construct is at present
> invalid. I actually like gaps in syntax, for the same reason that I like a
> central reservation in a highway. The same goes for the hard shoulder /
> breakdown lane.
>
> The title of this thread includes the phrase 'Stop Iterating' (capitals
> added). This suggests the syntax
>   a, b, StopIterating = iterable
> where StopIterating is a new keyword that can be used only in this context.
>
> I'd like to know what others think about this suggestion.

Hard no. That is currently-legal syntax, and it's also clunky. I'd
much rather the "assign to ..." notation than a weird new soft keyword
that people are going to think is a typo for StopIteration.

It's worth noting that the proposed syntax has a slight distinction
from the normal asterisk notation, in that it makes perfect sense to
write this:

a, *_, b = thing

but does not make sense to write this:

a, ..., b = thing

as the "don't iterate over this thing" concept doesn't work here.
(Supporting this would require some way to reverse the iterator, and
that's not a language guarantee.)

ChrisA