Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Okay, I'm convinced.
> If we need this feature (and I'm not convinced about that part), then it
> makes sense to keep the star and write it as `spam, eggs, *... = items`.

I thought about that, but to me, there are several reasons to not do that and
to have the ellipsis mean multiple rather than prepending * for that:
1. In common usage outside of programming, the ellipsis means a continuation
and not just a single additional thing.
2. Having `*...` mean any number of things implies that `...` means a single
thing, and I don't think there is a reason to match 1 thing but not assign it
to a variable. It is also already fine to repeat `_` in the left side
expression.
3. I am guessing (though I could be wrong) that support for `*...` would be a
bigger change and more complicated in the Python source code.