On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 at 18:42, Steve Jorgensen <stevec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > Okay, I'm convinced.
> > If we need this feature (and I'm not convinced about that part), then it
> > makes sense to keep the star and write it as `spam, eggs, *... = items`.
>
> I thought about that, but to me, there are several reasons to not do that and
> to have the ellipsis mean multiple rather than prepending * for that:
> 1. In common usage outside of programming, the ellipsis means a continuation
> and not just a single additional thing.
> 2. Having `*...` mean any number of things implies that `...` means a single
> thing, and I don't think there is a reason to match 1 thing but not assign it
> to a variable. It is also already fine to repeat `_` in the left side
> expression.
> 3. I am guessing (though I could be wrong) that support for `*...` would be a
> bigger change and more complicated in the Python source code.

Also, while I can't speak for others, I found that when writing
examples for posts here, the "*" in "*..." has too strong of a
connection with "consume", and I *still* naturally read *... as
"consume the rest" (even though it's not currently valid syntax, and
the rules for what it *does* mean would be clear and unambiguous, etc
etc). So for me at least, any syntax that uses a * would be too easy
to misread.

Paul