On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 at 10:13, Rob Cliffe via Python-ideas
<python-ideas@python.org> wrote:

> On 19/06/2022 04:42, David Mertz, Ph.D. wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2022, 9:21 PM Rob Cliffe
>>
>> Sorry again, but IMO discussing any model except one where late-bound
>> defaults are evaluated at function call time is just adding FUD.
>

> It's definitely rude to repeatedly state that anyone who's opinion is
> different from yours is "adding FUD" and doesn't belong in the thread.
>
> I was not talking about people whose opinion was different from mine.  I was
> talking about people who obscured the discussion of a proposal by talking
> about a different proposal.  And that, IMO, would be rude if it were done
> deliberately, though I accept that it wasn't.
>

> The topic of "late binding in function signatures"  simply isn't *orthogonal*
> to "late binding in the general sense." Yes, they are distinct, but very
> closely adjacent.
>
> We disagree about that.  Please consider the *IMPLEMENTATIONS* of each.  I
> respectfully suggest that you may conclude that they are not so close after
> all.
>
> PS  In my support may I quote from a post from Chris:
>
> [Steven D'Aprano] Chris may choose to reject this generalised lazy evaluation
> idea, but if
> so it needs to go into a Rejected Ideas section. Or he may decide that
> actually having a generalised lazy evaluation idea is *brilliant* and
> much nicer than making defaults a special case.
>
> [Chris] It's an almost completely orthogonal proposal. I used to have a
> reference to it in the PEP but removed it because it was unhelpful.

Since it appears to matter to people, I've readded a mention of it.
It's just freshly pushed so you might not see it instantly, but within
a few minutes (or browse the source code on GitHub), you should see
deferred evaluation mentioned in PEP 671.

ChrisA