On 2022-06-20 22:26, Chris Angelico wrote:
Okay, here's a compromise.

Go and write a full and detailed specification of the Python-visible
semantics of deferred evaluation objects, including how they would be
used to implement late-bound argument defaults.

Go and actually do some real work on your pet feature, instead of
using the vapourware to try to shut down the one I've been working on.

Go and actually do something useful instead of just arguing that "it
must be possible".

I'm not the person you're replying to, but just a reminder here: there is one alternative proposal that already has a fully functioning implementation, namely the current behavior. Your arguments against the deferred-evaluation proposal seem to constantly be reiterating that there is no concrete deferred-evaluation proposal. You are right. But your arguments also seem to be insinuating that if there is no such proposal, then opposition to the PEP is somehow misguided, and that is incorrect. There doesn't need to be any concrete alternative proposal other than "leave everything as it is and wait until we think of something better".

It is perfectly valid to oppose your PEP even on the basis that maybe a deferred-evaluation proposal has a remote possibility of being better in the future --- because it is perfectly valid to oppose your PEP even if such a proposal has NO possibility of being better in the future. There is no urgency or need for the behavior described in your PEP. I am fine with the current behavior of Python in this regard. It is not necessary to provide any alternative proposal, concrete or handwavy, to argue that the PEP is a bad idea. I believe the PEP is a bad idea because the current behavior of Python is actually better than what it would be if the PEP were adopted. I believe it is better to wait until we think of a better idea than to implement this PEP, and, if we never think of a better idea, then never change the existing argument-default behavior of Python.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path, and leave a trail."