On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 3:50 AM Stephen J. Turnbull <
stephenjturnb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's true in David's proposed semantics, where the runtime does that
> check.  I'm suggesting modified semantics where deferreds can be a
> proxy object, whose normal reaction to *any* operation (possibly
> excepting name binding) is
>
> 1.  check for a memoized value,
>     if not found evaluate its stored code, and memoize the value
> 2.  perform the action on the memoized value

I think I like these semantics better than those my draft proposal.  I
haven't had a chance to enhance the proto-PEP more in the last few days
(other work).  But all of these comments are extremely helpful, and I'll
have a better version in a few days.  Hopefully I can address many of the
concerns raised.