David Mertz, Ph.D. wrote:
> I've seen this thread, and also wondered why anyone could EVER want a
> dataclass that is an enum.  Nothing I've seen in the thread gives me any
> hint about that, really.
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 7:44 AM Barry Scott ba...@barrys-emacs.org wrote:
> > On 9 Jul 2022, at 22:53, Steve Jorgensen stevec...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I don't think that dataclasses have the limited set of intended uses
> > that you are interpreting them as having. To me, the fact that they can be
> > frozen makes them a good fit with Enum.
> > Please quote the email that you are replying to.
> > It is usually considered a code smell to have a class that is two or more
> > things.
> > This seems to be what you are trying to do.
> > How can one class be a set of fields and also the enum for one of its own
> > fields?
> > I do not understand why this is resonable.
> > Barry

> > https://mail.python.org/mailman3/lists/python-ideas.python.org/
> > Message archived at
> > https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/V6U7UM...
> > Code of Conduct: http://python.org/psf/codeofconduct/

> > https://mail.python.org/mailman3/lists/python-ideas.python.org/
> > Message archived at
> > https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/HZFZE3...
> > Code of Conduct: http://python.org/psf/codeofconduct/
> > --
> Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food
> from the bellies of the hungry; books from the hands of the
> uneducated; technology from the underdeveloped; and putting
> advocates of freedom in prisons.  Intellectual property is
> to the 21st century what the slave trade was to the 16th.

Sorry, I don't know how I communicated that I was trying to have one class be a
set of fields and also the enum for one of its own fields.

I'm really just wanting to have each member of the enum be an instance of a
frozen dataclass. If an of the dataclass fields were of an enum type, then it
would presumably not be for the same enum. In my example, none of the fields of
the dataclass contains an enum. One contains a string, and the other contains
an int.