On 2022-07-21 09:55:21, Paul Moore wrote:
> A practical approach may be to develop some form of library that "hides"
> the difference behind some form of API for finding the correct value, get
> that added to the stdlib and wait a few years until it's adopted everywhere
> (because it's so well-designed and convenient ;-)) Then, you can change the
> location. But at that point no-one will care, because they don't ever
> reference the actual location, they just use the API anyway :-)

I think an option when creating the "venv" (something like "--bin-name
bin", or "--use-bin") is enough. Whatever creates the environment also
handles the fact that "bin" is on the "right" location now.
If you don't control the venv creation, you just use the default,
or accept a similar option.

I would vote against having a environment variable or some kind of
global setting, that will break backwards compatibility.