On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 at 11:33, Thomas Grainger <tagr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > A practical approach may be to develop some form of library that "hides"
> the difference behind some form of API for finding the correct value, get
> that added to the stdlib and wait a few years until it's adopted everywhere
> (because it's so well-designed and convenient ;-)) Then, you can change the
> location.
>
> Is this the canonical location of this information?
>
> https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/3.10/Lib/sysconfig.py#L56

In theory, yes. In practice, if that worked, we wouldn't get people asking
about changing this in the first place... Non-Python programs can get the
script location from sysconfig using

    py -c "import sysconfig; print(sysconfig.get_path('scripts'))"

But yes, it's likely that sysconfig *is* that API - it's just that for
whatever reason, people haven't adopted it well enough that we can afford
to change the location without breaking things. Which makes this more of a
social problem than a technical one (get people to use sysconfig and the
problem goes away).

Paul