On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM,  <ru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Long before you showed up here, I noticed the tendency
> to not answer questions directly but to jerk people off
> by giving hints or telling them to do something other
> than they want to do.
>
> Often that is good because the original request was
> for something that the OP really didn't want to do.
> But sometimes the OP knows they want to do (but doesn't
> want or is unable to clearly explain why) and when
> they clearly state that, yes, they do want to do it
> their way, their question should be answered in good
> faith or, for those who just can't tell how to do
> something "wrong", ignored.
>
> Instead the response is typically a lot of hostility
> directed at them for not "taking advice".  In other
> words, the advice here is not free advice, but come
> with the price that you are expected to except it
> gratefully whether it was what you asked for or not.
>
> I think you are quite right to reject advice that does
> not do what you want and ask again for advice that does.
>
> FWIW, I am quite sure there are other readers of this
> group who feel the same way, but most people aren't
> willing to subject themselves to the bullying that
> will be directed at anyone who publicly agrees with you.
> It is the same way in real life too as I'm sure
> you know.
>
> Just wanted to let you know that not everybody here
> is an asshole.  It is just that assholes, by their
> nature, are the loudest.

When I've been given advice on this list or others that does not
directly answer my question, I've found that the advice comes from one
of two types of posters:
1) Those who don't understand my question, possibly due to my own
failure to properly articulate.
-or-
2) Those who understand my predicament better than I do, and show my
how to get the results that I need despite my own failure to
understand what exactly I need.

With Python specifically, the latter far outnumber the former. When
somebody here is giving advice, I listen humbly. Likewise I advise any
newcomer to do.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il