On Nov 13, 2013, at 1:27 PM, superchromix <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I've been thinking about learning Python for scientific programming.. but all
> of these flame war type posts make the user community look pretty lame.  How
> did all of these nice packages get written when most of the user interaction
> is .... this??
>
> Can anyone tell me, is there another newsgroup where the discussion is more
> on python programming?
>
> thanks
> --

I'd like to add one final thought to the note about joining the python-tutor
list.
For scientific programming you are almost certainly going to want to learn
about scipy, numpy and matplotlib.

These specialized libraries have dedicated discussion groups, which can be
found at: <numpy-discuss...@scipy.org>, and
<matplotlib-us...@lists.sourceforge.net>

I'd recommend looking over the material at

        http://www.scipy.org

Welcome to the community.

-Bill